Caramel chicken (ga kho) is such a simple delicious recipe that you’ll want to keep as your quick go to dish for an easy but delicious dinner.
- 4 chicken Thighs (deboned)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- half of a yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (optional) peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tbs fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon lime juice
- thin cut green onions for garnishment (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Slice chicken (about an inch wide)
- Season chicken and rub it into the chicken. Set to the side.
- Add oil to pan and set stove to medium high. At the sound of sizzle add chicken in batches and cook until done about 10 minutes. Once chicken is done add the thinly slice onions. Cook onion until translucent and soft about 5 minutes stirring about every minute. Making sure not to burn. Adjust heat to lower setting if necessary.
- Add garlic and ginger cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the caramel sauce ingredients stirring frequently so that the brown sugar doesn’t burn. Add the chicken back into the wok and mix sauce with chicken. At this point taste and add more salt and pepper etc if necessary. Mix together again. Serve and garnish with green onions.
- Note: Alternatively you can cook the chicken for about 2-3 minutes in pan then deep fry for about 2-3 minute. This process is faster plus it make for a crispier chicken.
Enjoy with plenty of steaming hot rice and we’re confidant that this caramel chicken dish will become a part of your normal dinner routine.